Thursday, June 25, 2009

back to everyday life...

I know it's been a while since my last post, but honestly there hasn't been much excitement here. I think I'm starting to see what day to day life would be like here. This may come as a surprise to some of you, but I've actually been cooking dinner...crazy, I know. I'll tell you a little about the house here...it reminds me a lot of a beach house, lots of rooms painted bright colors. There is a big yard with a garden in the back. There is a fence surrounding it and a gate with a guard all day and night. It's really nice. Blayne has been working on it a lot to get it cleaned up and somewhat organized. B2R usually sends boxes with food to keep here...things like rice, spaghetti, peanut butter, etc. So, there are a lot of the staples here and then we get fruits, vegetables, eggs, etc. at the market/grocery store. (probably not the kind of grocery store you're thinking!) It's very small without many choices. I organized the pantry yesterday, another big surprise I know...I guess Africa brings it out in me. Don't get any ideas for when I come back though...haha. 

Blayne and I finished the pictures and video for the student profiles on Tuesday afternoon, which means now we have to download all of that and make separate folders for each student. We worked on that most of the day yesterday and we are almost finished. We also did a written profile for each student...they filled out a short questionnaire for us and the school to have on file which took most of today. The students are taking exams this week and next so we had to have lots of help tracking down the kids we needed. Luckily, the students are pretty great here. They still have some of the high school attitude, but generally really want to get to know us and help! I met a P1 (1st grade) teacher today and took some pictures of her classroom. I've thought of some good ideas to connect my kids with some of the students here, and I'll be excited to get those going once school starts again. Next week, I'm going to sit in on some P1 classes and talk to some of the teachers. We will also work on organizing a teacher workroom at Sonrise, which will be fun but there is a LOT of stuff to organize and separate. 

We're going to dinner tonight...I've had enough cooking for this week! And I seriously am trying to load pictures but they just will not upload, so I'll keep trying but keep your expectations low and then you may be surprised, haha! 

missing you all,
jess 


No comments:

Post a Comment